About B for S Ukraine Pictures About the Jewelry Garden Booklet Contact Me

Thursday, October 15, 2009

First Annual Beads for Seeds

August 28th I held the first Beads for Seeds fundraiser in Helena Montana. This fundraiser was held in partnership with "Catalyst for Kids" a non-profit organization organized by my sister Lynnise Stoltzfus (www.catalystforkids.info). My objective was to raise money by selling my polymer clay jewelry to purchase vegetable seeds for orphanages in the Ukraine.
Elizabeth Andrews generously had the event in her wonderful garden. It was a perfect summer evening in Montana. About 25 people participated in the fundraiser. We had great appetizers, thanks to the generous contributions of friends and family, including pesto, raspberry jam, vegetables, apple muffins all made from fresh garden ingredients.
Thanks to everyone's generous participation and purchases, I was able to raise about $1,000.00. The Real Food Store in Helena was having an end of season sale, and all their seeds were half price. Most of their seeds are from Seed Savers Exchange. Seed Savers Exchange only sells open-pollinated varieties. Since my birthday is at the end of August, I was able to take advantage of the 10% discount the Real Food Store offers for your birthday, and make a significant purchase of seeds.
I purchased the rest of the vegetable seeds from Fishers Seeds in Belgrade, Montana. Fishers carries mostly open-pollinated varieties also. Between the two sources, I have a great variety of vegetable seeds, most of which meet my criteria for "Snackscaping", which means the veggies are meant to be eaten right out of the garden. I will post a list of seeds purchased.
In November the seeds will be taken to the Ukraine. Ira, who works for Catalyst for Kids in the Ukraine will keep the seeds until planting time in the spring. At this time I am contacting directors of orphanages with a list of guidelines I have for this gardening project.
So THANK YOU so much to everyone who participated in my first Beads for Seeds event. I am already planning to have another fundraiser in the summer of 2010, with ideas for other garden related items to sell.
But until then, my husband and I are planning to leave the marina in the Rio Dulce, Guatemala, and take our "home", the sailing vessel "Kristiana" sailing in Belize. Rayene

No comments:

Post a Comment